Downtown Development Authority
Our MissionThe City of Jesup and the Downtown Development Authority (DDA) are committed to the economic development, historic preservation, and beautification of Jesup’s downtown area.
Our vision is to ensure downtown Jesup’s future as a vibrant center of commerce, development, and community activity. Downtown is a place where small businesses thrive, local history is honored, and the community gathers together.
Our PurposeOur purpose is to revitalize downtown economically and socially within the context of historic preservation by increasing financial viability and ensuring the success of businesses. This plan revolves around the following reasons:
- Downtown is the historic center of a community, representing the city itself in many people’s minds, as it remains the center for government and finance
- Downtown’s built in environment is unique, representing a living history that bears testimony to the economic forces that created the city. Strip centers and malls are very similar. Downtown is a community’s signature. It leaves a mark on the mind.
- Downtown represents a tremendous investment over many years by both public and private sectors, yet properties are allowed to deteriorate decreasing tax bases.
- Downtown is a major industry as Jesup’s Downtown District has over 75 businesses that employ over 200 people. Looking at these numbers, the economic impact of downtown is apparent. We must realize the importance of working with existing industry to ensure its viability.
- The reflection on the investment climate of a city may be the single greatest consideration in downtown development and it needs to give the impression that it is a good place to leave investment dollars.
Goals & Priorities
- Design – Enhancing the physical appearance of the commercial district by rehabilitating historic buildings, encouraging supportive new construction, developing sensitive design management systems, and long-term planning.
- Organization – Building consensus and cooperation among the many groups and individuals who have a role in the revitalization process.
- Promotion – Marketing the traditional commercial district’s assets to customers, potential investors, new businesses, local citizens and visitors.
- Economic Restructuring – Strengthening the district’s existing economic base while finding ways to expand it to meet new opportunities and challenges from outlying developments.
Volunteer OpportunitiesThere are a number of volunteer opportunities – and ways to share your expertise and time with the community. If you’d like to be involved, contact us at 912-427-1313
- Events assistance: you can lend a hand events throughout the year, including the Farmers’ Market.
- Photography: help create and edit photographs of Downtown events, businesses and projects.
- Graphic Design: help us develop flyers, brochures and other communications.
- Social Networking: assist with creating content for social media platforms